Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Biggest Loser Redemption!

A while back, we purchased a bike trailer. You know, one of those little tow-behinds that you carry kids in? We've used it to go back and forth to Gramma's house (about 1/2 mile), but not had the opportunity to really test it out. So last weekend, MacKenzie and I decided to go grocery shopping at Hanks and use the trailer to haul our groceries back. Save gas, exercise and get some fresh air.

The first 4 blocks to Hanks were great. Zee Zee hit a tree or two, and she got thrown over a couple curbs until I got used to the width of the thing--but I felt fantastic. Then, about 6 blocks in my thighs began to burn. I shifted down, felt a little better, and kept going on. Soon, I was dripping sweat and going ridiculously slow. When people looked at me riding at a snails pace, I just looked around as if I was enjoying the beautiful scenery. Until MacKenzie would holler from the back "why are you going so slow Mom?"

Finally, we arrived at Hanks. My thighs were so numb, I fell off my bike. Then I had to find a place to park the dang thing where I could lock it. After taking up the entire bike rack, I challenged someone to steal the contraption (at least I would have an excuse to call for a ride home) and went in the store.

Now I'm not a genius, but the exercise must have made me particularly brain dead. I didn't just pick up some bread and yogurt. I also got 2 gallons of milk, 2 cases of soda, a case of water and two bags of groceries. After fitting this in the trailer that I wish someone had stolen, I took off home with renewed hope.

The hope was short lived. I got to JB Thomas (about 3 blocks) and stopped. As people passed, I pretended to check the left tire. I went another three blocks, and had to stop again--this time, checking the other tire. Two blocks later, I stopped again, and before I could get off the bike, MacKenzie yelled "You've already stopped and checked both tires Mom!" So I covered her up with my sweater, and told her she was cold.

After six more stops, a bucket of sweat, and ten questions from MacKenzie about why I was breathing funny, we made it home. I couldn't walk or climb the stairs at work for two days, and the trailer has been parked ever since.


So why did I title this posting "Redemption?"

Although I could barely bike to Hanks and back, I won the Biggest Loser competition at work today! The contest started in August--and the first place pot was $165. Apparently I lost over 7% of my body weight. While that isn't saying much, being the "biggest loser" might just be the motivation I need to try that trip to Hanks again!


Or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to point out that you made it to the store and home and you didn't even ditch any of your precious cargo (the food or the child) along the way. For that I say CONGRATULATIONS! On top of that you have lost 7% and won some cash?! It doesn't get much better than that. Well done you!